Thursday, July 15, 2010

Mortality

I’m really feeling the presence and weight of death around me. Not in a creepy way – it’s just a much greater awareness than I’ve had before of death, and maybe my own mortality. There was a death earlier this month in R’s family, then a tragic accident which killed a close friend of a colleague last week, and a beloved aunt of my own is on the brink of passing away. It’s making me consider how fragile life really is for the first time, and how lucky I am to have my health. I’m also incredibly fortunate that all of the people I love the most are alive and well.

The thought of losing my parents, my husband, my sister right now, is beyond what I can imagine. I read a report on the murder of Inge Lotz in Marie Claire yesterday, and what struck me most was the agony of the family who lost their precious daughter. It’s not something you would wish on anyone, but it’s happening – there are 50 murders taking place daily in South Africa, according to MC.
I send my thoughts to everyone who has lost a loved one.

HoneyChild

No comments:

Post a Comment