Thursday, April 22, 2010

Standing up

I seem to have a problem with authority. Not in the sense that I don’t like authority. Rather, because I find it painfully difficult to say no to those who are (or at least who I perceive to be) in a position of greater power. I definitely inherited a sizeable dose of good girl mentality from my mother, and my traditional schooling instilled a healthy (at times unhealthy) respect for my seniors. As a fully grown woman, I still struggle to stand up for myself when I don’t agree with what my boss, senior colleagues, older family members and some of my more demanding friends ask of me. And it’s becoming a frustration.

I need to learn how to speak out confidently when I’m being mistreated, and not to stew about it and then let it slide, as I tend to do. It’s a big part of my growing up process, I know. My mom has only recently started to tell people where to shove it when she feels she’s being taken advantage of. That took her more than 50 years. I need to master that ability (which ironically my father and sister have in spades) a lot sooner. Like, by my 30th birthday. Must practise.


HoneyChild
Delicious
Bookmark this on Delicious

No comments:

Post a Comment