Thursday, April 15, 2010

Thanks for the music

I can't believe how long it's been since I played a musical instrument. It astounds me that a habit that was so much a part of my life has simply slipped right off my radar. As a teenager, I loved singing and spent hours by myself playing the guitar and the piano. Not to mention the fact that it's been over a year since I bought a CD. I used to spend all my pocket money on new music. I had a collection to be proud of. Now I only possess...old music

Music moves me profoundly. I inherited a great deal of emotional sensitivity to it from my father, who often cries when he hears a beautiful song. (Music and particularly well crafted lyrics are definitely the only things which, in combination, can make dear old Dad drizz.) I have been freshly reminded of this quite amusing predispostion which we share in the last 24 hours.

Yesterday evening I felt the urge to pick up a guitar for the first time in ages. Earlier today while driving, a hit song from five years ago unexpectedly came on the radio, and it suited my rather melancholy mood perfectly. And this afternoon a new band was recommended to me by a surprising source - I listened to one of their songs and it instantly resonated with me.

This little series of events as a signal has made me realise I need to embrace my love of music again and re-integrate it into my life and my identity. Looking forward to it.

HoneyChild
Delicious
Bookmark this on Delicious

No comments:

Post a Comment